Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Passion Week


Next week our church is having a Passion Week.

We know from the Gospels what Jesus did each day of the very last week before the Crucifixion. So for "Passion week", each night will have a study on what He did.

Since Christ was Crucified on a Friday, there will be a showing of "The Passion of the Christ." We showed it last year and packed out the Coffee House, so this year a Community Center has been rented. Please pray that many will attend.


I recently had a student ask me why we used the word "Passion", since it sounded strange in Japanese. I realized that although I had heard and even used the word I had to admit I was not sure why. So I promised to find out.

As you may already know, "passion" in this context means "suffering", or "agony" rather than the more common usage of "something we love or desire."

So, now I know.

Anyway, I guess "Passion Week" sounds a lot more inviting than "A week of Suffering."

No comments: