Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Day 8 - Candy Cane


I love candy canes, but they are not very common in Japan. If you can find them they are not cheap either. They can remind of us Jesus, however. It has been pointed out that held upside down, a candy cane is a "J"; J is for Jesus. The red stripe reminds us of the blood He shed. The white reminds us that we are made pure because He shed His blood. Finally, the shape of a candy cane is that of a shepherd's staff. The staff is used to guide and protect the sheep. Of course, we are the sheep and He is the shepherd.

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. -- Psalm 23:1-5

Origami Candy Canes

No comments: