Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Thought for the Week

Sometimes God says "No."

Have you ever wondered why it is that God sometimes answers prayer different from how you would have answered it?

In Japan, there is a car inspection every two years.
Now this is not like the U.S., where 20 or 30 bucks will get you a sticker. No, this inspection can cost $1000 or more.

We bought our old car in March, 2005, so it was time to get it inspected. However, God saw fit to have our daughter Mika be born at the same time.
Plus, Dan's job ends in March, so he was out of work for a month.

Do you see the drama building?

We did not have much money after paying out for Mika's birth.
Plus, to pass inspection we would need new tires and brakes.

So, my thought and my prayer was, "Lord, give me the money so I can fix up this old car." But God had something else in mind; He didn't give us the money.

I believe this was God's timing and by His design.

He put us in a situation where we needed to turn to Him and depend on Him. Had I the extra money, I would have fixed up that old car.

Instead, God provided for us in a different way, with a different car.
And I still do not understand why a women I never met before would not only give us her car (at no charge), but also offer to pay for the inspection ($1100).

I think that sometimes we are willing to settle for things and our prayers reflect that attitude; (Lord, fix my job/relationship/or whatever).

Perhaps God doesn't want to "fix up" the old things in our life. Sometimes, He wants to move us to another job or situation.
Sometimes He is trying to bless us with something better than a patched up old car.

Rather than settling for what we think is best, let us trust that God knows what is best for us and receive what He wants to give us.

Not only is this car "roomier", but it has A/C, just in time for the summer heat!

God is good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, such an encouraging testimony! God is so faithful. His ways are always higher than our ways...thank you for sharing. HE IS GOOD! Natsumi